Table of Contents
A good coffee grinder is a must if you want to enjoy a delicious brew from the comfort of your own home.
There are many different burr coffee grinders on the market today, so how does the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder match up?
The user-friendliness of the design appeals to those looking for their first coffee maker, as well as experienced coffee connoisseurs.
All you need to do is turn your dial to the desired time for grinding and hit the start button.
OXO Brew Conical Burr Grinder Pros and Cons
Who This Grinder is Best For
If you are new to coffee-making, the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder could be just the thing you are looking for. As it is easy to use, it is beginner-friendly. It does not have the intimidating design that a lot of other coffee grinders have.
It is also suitable for those seeking a coffee grinder with a compact design, as it has a small footprint of 6.8 x 11.8 inches.
Who Should Skip This Grinder
The OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is unlikely to be suitable for you if the following applies:
- You want more grind settings - The average coffee drinker will be more than happy with this Oxo grinder. However, if you are quite serious about brewing a specialty cup of coffee, you may want to have more grind setting options to play with. The Baratza Virtuoso and Baratza Encore, for example, have 40.
- You want flat burrs or a blade grinder - Burr shape is a personal preference when choosing a coffee grinder. If you want a flat burr grinder, you will need to look elsewhere. The Eureka coffee grinders all come with flat burrs.
- You mainly make espresso - You will need a premium quality grinder to pull a proper shot of espresso, especially if you use a pressurized basket. You will need to make sure the grinds are fine enough for espresso while also being fluffy, light, and uniform in size. With that in mind, a Baratza Vario may be more suitable.
Flaws But Not Dealbreakers
There aren’t a lot of negatives when it comes to the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder. However, there are a couple of small flaws that are worth noting.
One of the flaws is that you cannot remove the bottom burr to clean it. Overall, this coffee grinder is easy to clean, though. However, it would be nice if both of the burrs could be removed so that you can give them a thorough wipe-down.
Another slight flaw is that the grounds container sometimes vibrates out while it is grinding. Some people report the grounds container being able to click into place effectively whereas others do not have the same outcome.
It is worth noting, I didn't personally experience this during testing so this does not seem to be the case for everyone. So, it seems to be a matter of construction inconsistency.
There are a number of great features you can enjoy when using the OXO Brew Grinder, including the following:
- Grind Select Feature - The grinder will lock into a number of modes/settings, from cold brew level coarse grind to French press.
- Intuitive LED interface - Modify your brew amount or grind based on the number of cups you want to brew.
- Coffee Container with a Twist-Off Lid - The container holds sufficient ground coffee to brew as many as 12 cups.
- Powerful DC Motor - Low speed (approx. 400 rpm) yet high torque. This coffee grinder will not cause your beans to be overheated, ensuring the flavor is protected.
- Large Capacity Bean Hopper - You can place up to 16 oz. of coffee beans in the hopper.
- Stainless Steel Conical Burrs - The 40 mm durable burrs create a precise, uniform, and consistent grind for optimal coffee brewing.
- Protection - There is an in-built, automatic no-bean detector, as well as overheating protection features, which will protect the life of the motor.
- Strength Adjuster - You can finely tune the ratio to prepare a stronger or weaker brew to suit your preference.
- Mess-Free Design - There is a trap door on the bean hopper, which holds the beans in whenever you remove it. The container for your ground coffee has a slender top opening. It has been designed for less mess and easy dispensing.
- UV-Blocking Tint - Harmful UV rays are kept at bay, ensuring they do not reach your delicate coffee beans so that you can enjoy a fresh brew at all times.
Product Construction and Specs
The OXO Coffee Grinder comes with 15 different grind settings (as well as micro settings) and is made of high-quality 40 mm stainless steel.
The product’s dimensions are 12 x 7.4 x 16 inches, and it weighs 6.58 pounds.
The hopper holds a maximum of 0.75 pounds of coffee beans while the ground coffee container will accommodate 110 grams, which is sufficient for 12 cups.
The shiny silver finish gives this grinder a sleek and stately appearance.
It has a slender body, meaning it won’t take up a lot of counter space. With a modern and stylish appearance, the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder will look great in any home.
The container holds enough ground coffee to brew as many as 12 cups.
The OXO Conical Burr Grinder is made from a durable, reliable stainless steel conical burr.
The product’s dimensions are 12 x 7.4 x 16 inches. The design is slim and tall, yet it is still compact enough to fit underneath your kitchen cupboards.
A lot of OXO products come with a two-year warranty, which means that all of the parts will be protected in line with certain stipulations.
How it works
Now that you know all about the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder, let’s take a look at how to set it up so that you can use it properly.
- Take the lid off the hopper and fill it with whole, roasted beans. Put the lid back on top.
- Hold the hopper, slowly rotating to amend the grind size setting to suit your preference.
- Plug the grinder into the outlet and slip the grounds container onto the base. Make sure the container clicks into place.
- Turn the dial to set the timer to the desired grinding time, between 0 and 30 seconds. We would advise starting off with 10 seconds on your first use. You can then measure or weigh the amount of grounds you get and adjust the time accordingly in the future.
- Push the OXO button to start the grinder.
How to Care, Maintain, and Clean
Before you clean the OXO Brew Conical Burr Grinder, it is advisable to run it for 10 seconds with an empty coffee bean hopper to help clean any grounds from the grounds chute and burrs. It is also important to make sure you do not wash any parts of the grinder in the dishwasher.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Always start by unplugging the power cord from the power outlet prior to cleaning.
- Unlock the bean hopper and remove it from the grinder.
- Carefully remove any beans from between the burrs.
- To remove the upper burr, simply lift the metal burr handle, and then twist it counter-clockwise. Pull the handle straight up. As mentioned earlier, only the upper burr can be removed.
- Use a small bristle brush to clean the grounds chute, lower burr, and upper burr.
- Once you have finished cleaning, replace the upper burr by aligning the indents in the burr with the tabs inside of the lower burr. Place the upper burr down onto the grinder and turn the handle clockwise until there is a clicking sound.
- Wash the lids, bean hopper, and grounds container with a mild detergent and warm water. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Clean any coffee grounds on the base and around the chute.
- Reattach the bean hopper to the grinder, and reposition the grounds container under chute.
- Use a damp, soft cloth to clean the exterior. Do not use harsh chemicals or abrasive pads.
OXO Brew Conical Grinder Owner Reviews and Feedback
The OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder has largely received positive feedback from those who have purchased it.
There are only a few cons, such as some of the grinders coming with a grounds container that does not lock into place. Plus, not being able to remove the bottom burr can be rather annoying.
However, these small negatives seem to be far outweighed by the positives.
The beans feed very well, even for single dosing, and you can expect premium quality grind consistency. The coffee grinder also looks great, operates quietly, and most people agree that it is one of the best coffee grinders at this price level - if not THE best coffee grinder.
OXO Brew Conical Burr Grinder Owner FAQs
If you are thinking about purchasing the OXO burr grinder, you may have a few pressing questions. So, let’s answer some of the most common ones...
How do you know what grind size to use with the OXO Coffee Grinder?
Optimal grind size depends on a number of different factors, including freshness, bean type, roast darkness, and brewing method.
We would advise that you experiment with different grind size settings to achieve the brew that is best for your taste.
Should your coffee taste too bitter, try a coarser grind size. Adjust to a finer grind size if your coffee tastes too weak.
Why is my OXO Burr Grinder not starting after pressing the OXO button?
There are a number of reasons why your grinder may not begin after pressing the OXO button.
It could be because the grinder has overheated, the bean hopper is not attached correctly, or the grinder is not plugged in.
My OXO Burr Grinder starts, but no coffee grounds are being produced?
Again, there are a number of different reasons why this may happen. It could be because the upper burr is not completely locked into place.
Other reasons include there being no beans in the hopper, beans not flowing out of the hopper, a clogged grounds chute, or a blocked trap door.